London: Muslim women to get self-defence training

London: Muslim women to get self-defence training

Via Islington Tribune:
A TAEKWONDO champion is teaching Muslim women how to defend themselves, after a series of vicious street attacks.

Theresa Thomas, 52, has been snapped up by the One True Voice women’s charity to run classes for women wearing the hijab, who have become targets for muggers.

“I first heard about this when I was running an Asian women’s self-defence group in East London,” she said. “Then when I came to work in Finsbury Park, after One True Voice asked me, many of the women told me that muggers had been deliberately targeting them, taking the pin from their hijab and stabbing them in the head with it.”

She said the women found it hard to defend themselves because they were often carrying shopping bags or had children with them.

(source)